Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ars*ing about : Critical to practice ?

Something which occurred to me the other day but which I just remembered to write about : The important subject of simply messing about !

As a hobbyist musician it's all about fun - even the non-fun stuff (such as drilling those skills that are holding back my playing) I do because I know that putting that time in will mean I can better play something that I will really enjoy. To that end I try and make sure that on the rare occasions that I can sit behind my kit and make a proper noise that at least some part of it is me simply going nuts and seeing what comes out - even if nothing sensible happens it's a hell of a lot of fun, and every time I sit down I know that at some point, however tricky the practice might be, that that moment is coming soon - a reward if you like.

I don't doubt that this might undermine good practice, create bad habits, or take away from my 'real' practice time - this is about me and my drums for the moment, and ars*ing about is fun :-)

No comments: