Saturday, March 1, 2008

A more physical approach

In my last post I mentioned how I like to reserve a couple of minutes in each practice session to go wild and just thrash around the kit. When I do this I tend (among other things - including having poor timing !) to play harder and it changes the feel and sound of the kit quite a lot. So today I deliberately played hard all through my practice session - not because 'this is the way I play now' or anything like that but just to see what sprt of difference it made.

I noticed 4 things :

1. It detracted from my right foot - it was getting forgotten and a bit lazy as I was concentrating on beating the drums and cymbals

2. I chewed my brand new 5Bs to pieces ! haha

3. It made the toms sound better

4. My timing was poor - I was thinking about walloping the drums and not feeling the tempo

So in summary at this stage of my playing it's safe to say that playing hard detracts from my groove and is going to cost me money. Normal service will now resume.

No comments: